Wednesday, April 1, 2009

SYDNEY PORTIS - WMU

One of my dear friends in Colorado, Sydney Portis, went home to be with the Lord yesterday.

Sydney and I attended Southwestern Seminary together back in the early 60s, and Sydney served as the Women's Missionary Union Director in Colorado from 1971 through 1998. She was the model of leadership among women. It was a joy for me to work alongside her for 9 years.

Sydney lived very close to Ruth Lynn and me in Centennial, Colorado, and we spent some wonderful time with her. She never married and has no surviving family . . that is except for the thousands of people in Colorado who loved her. She gave her life in ministry in that wonderful state.

Sydney was a "pack rat", and I say that with admiration. There was not a single book or poster or camp item or anything that she did not "keep". I spent many hours helping her to get our shared storage space organized and functioning. She wouldn't let me throw away anything, but I would often slip something out without her knowledge. She took up all of the space in what is now the library for Golden Gate Seminary.

Her declining health over the years forced her into a retirement home, but her sweet Christian spirit has permeated the place. Her dear young friend, Ty McCarty, has done more than could ever be expected. He has stood by her side and handled so many decisions. Thank you Ty for your faithfulness.

"O, may all who come behind us find us faithful."

Sydney Portis lived a life of faithfulness and service.

2 comments:

Terry Holsinger said...

I am leading a study on I Corinthians now and we are in chapter 7 where Paul says that to remain single is a plus when service to our Lord is involved. A friend of ours is still serving as a single person with Wycliffe Translators and along with your friend are models of that spirit. To God be the Glory!

Unknown said...

I served for 10 weeks in 1977 under Syd w/WMU, Denver. I lost touch after she moved from Littleton. Tried to locate her several times. Just today searched Facebook and then did a google search. Sorry I wasn't aware of her death before now. Enjoyed my time of serving with her and stopped by to visit a couple of times. When I was there for the summer, she lived with Dick and Evelyn (or Evelyna) and their two children, Debbie and David ( I think ).