Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A THEOLOGY OF WORSHIP

I didn't create the term. It's a part of Ann Ortlands classic book Up with Worship where her husband Ray says that a certain pastor doesn't have a "theology of worship." That idea has captured my heart for many years.

Ruth Lynn and I visit a lot of churches. Often I am asked to serve as a supply preacher; we visited hundreds of churches as a denominational worker; and I've led dozens of conferences on "worship". I am thankful that God has given me some spiritual insight into worship, and many of our churches are in trouble.

It is very common for the average church to focus on the wrong things. Churches do a lot of "things", and many of these things are good. But they are not the most important thing.

God created man to have fellowlship with Him. Our very purpose is to worship Him. So we need to spend more time thinking about him. We need to honor Him.

The hour or more that we use on Sundays should focus on worship. We often spend an excessive amount of time making announcements, shaking hands, and doing the secondary when the primary issue is given second place.

Asaph, the writer of Psalm 73, said it this way:
1 God is indeed good to Israel, to the pure in heart. 2 But as for me, my feet almost slipped; my steps nearly went astray. 17 until I entered God’s sanctuary. Then I understood their destiny. Psalms 73:1-2,17 (HCSB)

I pray that God will give me a theology of worship!

1 comment:

MiBlog said...

such a great word, isn't it? the truth in that we discover who we are only when we enter His presence....when my focus isn't on me, things about me become clear. when i worship my creator, my path is sure, solid, direct...no slipping, tripping, getting stuck.