Saturday, June 13, 2009

CHASING THE DRUM



The statement on the drum is "Age 12 years . . Pearl Clabaugh . . Sevierville, Tennessee". That's not much information, but I've found some clues.

There is a tremendously long list of Clabaughs on-line, but the only Pearl than I can find was born in 1908. She was the daughter of Samuel H. Clabaugh and Mary Jane Cotter Clabaugh. There is the connection. Her mother was a Cotter.

Now I'm off to the larger search. I have not yet figured out how Mary Jane was related to me. I've tracked her daughter Pearl (really Mattie Pearl) to 1920. She would have been 12 years old at that time. That was just about the time she wrote on the drum, and her name and parent's names appear in the 1920 census in Sevier County, Tennessee.
I can't find her name in any records after 1920, and I still don't know how the drum with her name came to Texas.
If you have any ideas, I'd appreciate a contact. The detective work will continue.

No comments: