Tuesday, June 9, 2009

TENNESSEE TO TEXAS WITH THE DRUM







My Great Grandfather, George Wray Cotter, moved his wife and 10 children to Texas in 1890. They came from the hills of Sevier County, Tennessee. George had one desire for his growing family, and that was to find wives and husbands for his many children. Wears Valley Tennessee didn't offer many opportunties outside of the family bloodline. So the long journey to a new land and new opportunities was begun on a very long train ride.
As a side story to the drum, the first child born in Texas after the move to this new land was Ethel Texas Cotter. She is the only person I've ever known with that name. And Ethel Texas, who was 15 at the time of my father's birth, gave him the name of Clifford Victor Cotter. So I have a close contact and love for Ethel Texas.

Travel during that time was not easy, and it was probably not practical to take all of the family goods. Much was possibly sold or given away as preparations were made for the departure. I imagine that only the most valuable and most loved items were loaded for the journey. One of the valuables brought to Texas was an old drum that had been part of the history of the War Between the States.

My Great Grandfather had been a 12 year old drummer boy during the final months of the war, and he had saved the drum as a remembrance of that historic experience. The drum had probably been used in Wears Valley to "talk" with the neighbors throughout the hollow. This "family treasure" was probably acknowledged with some reverance. I can just hear George telling his entire family that . . "the drum is going to Texas."

My Grandfather, William Reuben Cotter, was the oldest son in the family. I don't know for sure, but I assume that the drum was passed along to him before or at the death of his father in 1928. My Grandfather moved to many locations over the years, but the drum always was taken to the new home. I first remember the drum hanging in the barn at my Grandparent's house in Littlefield, Texas. Many of the children and grandchildren often played with the drum.

Howard Lee Cotter, the 13th child of 14 children in the family, now has the drum in his possession. He is now 81 years of age, and the drum will soon pass on to his grandson Quade Crawford. I gave Quade, now 15 years of age, the "be sure to take good care of it" and "you'll realize its value in the years to come" speech.

At a recent family reunion, we carefully examined the drum for some clues to its history. We found some writting on it that no one in the family every remembers. It says . . "12 year old . . Pearl Clabaugh . . Sevierville, Tennessee." No, we don't know what that means, but we're beginning some detective work. We'd love to have some more definite information on this wonderful family relic.






1 comment:

Shari Hedstrom said...

I suggest "Antiques Road Show." They would be interested in this!