Wednesday, June 24, 2009

WE CAN'T BE THAT OLD


I'm always fascinated how my mother, age 102, can speak about other "old" people, people she sees as old. That same malady has struck me recently. For instance, there is no way that Ruth Lynn and I can be celebrating our 48th anniversary today. I must be talking about some "old" couple.
I started dating RL when she was 16 and I was 17. It's not too hard to figure out how many years it has been. As I look at my beautiful wife, she looks just the same. She is still the wonderful teenager that I married in 1961.

There are some things that have changed. First of all, she has taken on a lot of my idiosyncrasies. And I also have some of hers. That's not good, but that's what 48 years will do to you. In the second place, we've also learned a lot of wonderful things from each other. The main thing we've learned is how to live a life for our Savior. That is really the fun part.

June 24th was also RL's parents anniversary, and both of them are now gone. Today is also Bryan and Kelli's 14th. Today is also Terry and Sandy Holsinger's 48th. We didn't know them till much later, but they were married about one hour ahead of RL and me. We usually celebrate together, and tonight we'll meet them at the Cracker Barrell to laugh and remembetr.

To Ruth Lynn . . . Happy Anniversary Sweetheart. I hope we can keep dancing for a long time.

No comments: