Monday, December 21, 2009

MY THEOLOGY EXPLAINS MY LIFE

It took me a long time to figure out my theology of life. I was very impacted as a young man by many great prachers but mainly by evangelist Fred Cherry from Oklahoma. Fred had begun his adult life as a civil engineer, but God got a deep hold on him. He was a wonderful preacher of the word of God.
Fred had some wonderful characteristics. First of all, he was the strongest evangelist, both personal and from the pulpit, that I have ever known. I've been around some fine men with the gift of evangelism, but I've never met anyone like Fred. For example, he would spend much of his time while in our town on the telephone. He would go down the list of names in the phone book; he would call the number and share the gospel with whatever person answered. He would also stop anyone on the street to ask them vital questions about their souls and eternity. He didn't waste any time doing the unnecessary. He was busy sharing Christ.
Fred and his wife had 12 children. He didn't have any insurance; he didn't have birth control; and yet, many of his children were able to attend college and go on to wonderful Christian lives. Most of them, including some whose names you would know, continue to serve the Lord today.
I have many of his messages on tape, and I still listen to them as he expounds the scripture. He was very much "to the point". I pray that I can preach with his clarity.
Fred Cherry was the greatest personal evangelist I ever met. He was also the strongest Calvinist that I have ever met. He believed that God was in control. He didn't have to "sweat it" about people being saved. He presented God's plan to them, and then he left the work of salvation to the Holy Spirit. That's actually very biblical. It's God work. We are to be faithful. Much of what we do in church today seems to be secondary and insignificant. Many of us in the church believe in grace, but we overework ourselves keeping the organization up and running. We seem to think that salvation is from God, but the local church is our responsibility.
I do know that I can work myself to a frazzle . . I think that's a word . . and yet, in the end, I must trust God to do His work of salvation and ministry in the local church. I've been in the ministry for over 50 years, and it's been my privilege to see thousands of lives changed by the power of the gospel. I really didn't "save" any of them. That was God's work. I really didn't make the church grow and mature. That was God's work. I'm just happpy that I've been able to experience the joy of those changed lives and changed churches.
Christmas reminds us that the "good news" is to any who hear it . . and receive it. You have that opportunity today.

No comments: