Friday, January 15, 2010

FACEBOOK FRIENDS TO THE GYM

My sweet wife RL has never claimed to be athletic. Actually, she has avoided much athletic activity over the years even though she did become a pretty good skier during our Colorado years. She never broke anything while skiing . . even though she has been "lost" on the mountain . . but that's another story.

About a year ago she joined a local gym (FIT NOW) and began to walk, do the elliptical, and exercise on a lot of the equipment. She also joined a class that moves around with balls and weights and rubber bands, etc. Most of the people in the class are of our age group, and RL has thorougly enjoyed the experience. She goes at least three days a week; she has met some wonderful new friends; and she looks goooooood! It's been a great experience for her, and she's been "on my case" to join up. I must admit that I like what its done for her, but I'm not sure that I really need that type of work out.

I've also notice that a lot of my Facebook friends often mention their venture to the local gym. Some seem to go with enthusiasm, and others seem to do it by some type of obligation. So it must be good.

So that brings me to the latest in my life. RL finally talked me into it, and I joined this week. So, for the past five days I have been walking and doing some light weight stuff on some of the equipment. I walked two miles yesterday without much problem. I figured I was off to a good start, that is, until I met Bobby Frysinger. He's one of the trainers, and for some reason, he cornered me. "Why's everybody always picking on me?"

He had me do some things today with my arms that created great pain. I'm writing this right after getting home from the gym. It's probably the last time I'll be able to write for the next few days. I don't think my arms are going to survive the day. And I'm certainly wondering about sleeping with these great slabs of pain.

So, my suggestion to you is this. Go to the gym. Avoid Bobby!

2 comments:

Lynnell Wilks Tysl said...

Great Job Bro Sam!! You keep going!! you might catch up with RL!

Mac Morrison said...

Sam, I hope you get into shape but you'll never be as good looking as RL.
Mac