Monday, January 4, 2010

FOOTBALL . . FOOTBALL . . FOOTBALL

I recently thought about the anticiation and adrenaline flow that I feel when my favorite team is playing an important game. It's a little hard to explain exactly how I feel during these highly "important" times in life. I realize how important most of these games are. . . simply because I can't remember much about the results of the previous year. It just all seems to run together.

But . . back to the issue. Sometimes, while watching what I consider to be an important game, I find myself unable to function very well. I can't sit down. I can't stand up. I can't remain seated. I can't remain standing. My pulse rate seems to be out of control. My breathing is agitated. I'm a mess.

Does any of that sound familiar to you?

I wonder why we get so excited over something that has so little real significance in life. I could make a long list of things that are much more important than football, but I don't have the time. I'd rather watch a football game.

My goal is to focus on the important things in life.

Let me suggest that you stop . . take some time . . and name some of these priorities? When football seems so very important, just stop and recall those priorities in your life. That will be a fun activity!

2 comments:

Gwen Hanna said...

more important than football? really? :> The games give me an excuse to stop awhile and escape ... something for me that only costs a little time and energy. The girls have taken to asking me "Are they broncos or donkeys today?"

Terry Holsinger said...

Open Heart Surgery can be an interesting thing. I was on the operating table in January of 1996 for 12 1/2 hours. I didn't know it, but those who love me and were there were painfully (interesting word...) aware of the passage of time. So what does this have to do with football, or anything really? Here's what. Since that surgery I have not been able to watch any football game in its entirety. So I have quit watching them - too bad for Colt McCoy - Good boy, I hope he recovers. But I digress... Since that 1996 day my entire psyche (I think that's the right word) has changed. I am very sensitive to people being taken advantage of - and that's the basis of football or any "sport" for that matter. You find your combatant's weakness, exploit it and get the advantage. Same with hunting, fishing (wow - the fish really like this florescent green lure...)so I don't hunt, fish or watch sports. So does that make me any better than the next guy? - No definitely not. But it has made me (I think) a more thoughtful, kind person. So who want's to sign up for a 12 1/2 hour surgery to become a kinder gentler person? Thought not... Just some random thoughts about football. Thanks Sam - good article!