Wednesday, December 24, 2008

OH BE CAREFUL LITTLE VOICE

Recently I've been thinking about the denigration of language in our society. Several things have brought the subject to my mind. Let me share them:

1. There was a letter to the editor in the Fort Worth Star Telegram recently talking about the use of the word "bleeping" in the newspaper. In years past that was the way in which the paper would tell of someone using off-color language but not actually use the word. The writer was asking the newspaper to again use that type of literary expression instead of the very common practice in today's society. The style today is to use a letter with spaces behind it. I guess the idea is that we need to know everything that was stated. We don't need to read rapidly over the word "bleeping", but we need to have the actual word come into our brains.

The writer of the letter suggested that we move back to the old style of using the word "bleeping". I wholeheartedly agree! I'm tired of filthy language being forced on me.

2. My wife and I were in a conversation recently when a young man decided to use some inappropriate language to enphasize his displeasure. It is language that he uses regulary, and he obviously didn't see anything wrong with it. As our society accepts more and more inappropriate language, that is what happens. We all begin to accept the language and to make it our own.

Ruth Lynn immediately suggested to the young man that what he was saying was not acceptable. I was proud of her. The young man sheepishly apologized, and our conversation moved on. He was probably embarrassed, as well he should be, but I believe he learned a good lesson. I can ony hope that it will help him in the years to come.

3. I was listening to Dennis Prager on talk radio recently, and he told of attending a National Hockey League game. By the way, that is one reason I don't often attend live sports events. The language in the stands is often unbearable, especially where there is an abundance of alcohol. But I digress.

The crowd at the NHL game was chanting "Detroit sucks". Now I believe I know what that term means. I would certainly never say it, and most people I know would not say it. Dennis was surprised by the number of calls that he received that justified the statement as just fun among teams. And no, they wouldn't say it in public conversation, but it was alright to yell it out among a crowd of hockey fans. It was okay to scream it out when children were in the crowd. I wonder if our language use is on a steady decline?

4. I've been associated with church leaders and pastors most of my life. Occasionally I will hear one of these leaders use some type of bad language, and it always surprises me.

I recently read a statement on a public internet source where a leader denigrated other Christians with a "bodily function" statement. I guess he felt he could say something on the internet that would be unacceptable from the pulpit or in private conversation.

Most everything I write is addressed to Christians. We are the ones that God has called to change this world. Christians, it is time for us to "clean up" our act. Or maybe better, let's just quit the "act". We won't have to act when Christ is in our lives. It is "Christ is us . . the hope of glory". Christ's mouth would never issue such denigrating words and statements.

This Christmas season would be a good time to change our language. "For unto us a Son is born."

No comments: