Wednesday, December 31, 2008

THOSE WHO'VE GONE BEFORE

As a 14 year old teenager at Camp Copass, Texas, I responded to the call of God for my life. The person with the greatest Christian influence on my life to that time was Cecil McGee. He was a loving, kid, generous Youth/Education Director in our church, and his life was a wonderful example for me. From that camp experience in 1953 I began my life of ministry as a Music-Education-Youth-Administration leader. It has led me on a lot of exciting treks, and I praise the Lord every day for the opportunities He has given to me.
My surrender to the ministry was in the early 1950s; that was just about the time when many young people responded to the call to do "associate" work in the church. Up to that time, the only call to ministry was usually to before the Pastor. I have some friends who grew up in situations where they didn't know an alternative call was a possibility.
As I've become older, it has become more apparent to me that God has been using men throughout the ages. Paul was called on the Damascus road; some were called in foxholes; others followed Christ in a service of the local church; and some found God's leadership for them while studying God's Word. Some are probably called from a rodeo arena. It really doesn't make any difference; the important thing is to respond to God's will. That's God's plan. Everyone should do it.
Shari gave me a wonderful little book for Christmas. Gospel Tracks Through Texas: The Mission of Chapel Car Good Will tells the story of a railroad car Good Will that traversed Texas between the years of 1895-1903. An itinerant evangelist served on board the rail car; they would often spend a week or more in the new little towns of Texas preaching the gospel and leading people to Christ. It is one of those stories that I know nothing about; it was an exciting new revelation to me.
Now, here's the point. Sometimes I am prone to be critical of people doing ministry in ways that are different than my call. Their emphasis is God's emphasis. It really doesn't make any difference if I'm called to do it. The main thing is that God has called them and set them apart to reach people for Jesus.
This is not a Texas Baptist book, but I surely did learn a lot about Baptist work over the years. I'm happy that there were a whole lot of folks who came before me. They were faithful to their call; God used them to help me with my call.
My favorite: "Oh, may all who come behind us find us faithful."
Find the book and read it. You'll love the stories.

No comments: