Monday, December 1, 2008

WHAT'S YOUR JOHN HANCOCK

It's a common statement . . "put your John Hancock" on that line. Your signature is what is needed, and the "Hancock" statement has become common in America. The United States Declaration of Independence has many names on it, but the most bold and widely recognized one is that of John Hancock.




A person's signature is very important. It defines the person. It is his personal mark, his personal seal. If you've ever closed on a new home or a loan or a business deal, you will find out that your signature is needed over and over again. Writer's cramp often sets in as this final part of the deal is finalized.




I've been watching the politicos recently, and they can finish an autograph almost instantaneously. I've actually seen some of these autographs, and they are often intelligible. They are just a mass of stratches and marks. But as I watch Antiques Roadshow, I find out that these scratches are actuallly worth a lot of money. I wonder what my John Hancock will bring in the future. Don't hold your breath.


Reggie Brewer is my dear friend and banker in Baytown, and he has one of those flourished type signtures. I took my church salary check to the bank early in my ministry there. The teller looked at the check and then excused herself. She went to Reggie's desk and asked if he thought this check was any good as she questioned the signature. He answered, "Yes, it's good . . that's my signature."


Congratulations to the young teller of 40 years ago for doing her job.


I've noticed that my signature gets more difficult to read as I age. It won't be long before it is unintelligible. I have a small booklet that my 101 year old mother wrote when she was 23 years old and newly married. She wrote her name "Mrs. Birdie Cotter" over and over again on the booklet. She was proud of her name and was practicing how to write it.

As Christians, we need to write our name over and over again into the lives of those around us. We should be proud of our name. We should shout it out loud. We are Christians who follow a living Savior. When someone asks about our "John Hancock", we need to use the name "Christian".

No comments: