Monday, December 15, 2008

SMALL TOWN AMERICA


I grew up in a small Texas town where I've now returned and retired. After living in the big city of Denver for a number of years, RL and I had a desire for the feel of the small town. It has its wonderful qualities and common problems. But for us, it is home. We enjoy the experience of living with a lot of "good old boys".


My 101 year old mother lost her glasses about three weeks ago, but we waited till just last week . . hoping for their return. I went to the local optician and explained my problem. He was very helpful in getting the prescription refilled, fitting them into some inexpensive frames, and adjusting them. The glasses seemed to fit mom very well, and she was extremely happy. The glasses would normally be over $300, but he sold them to me for a $100 bill. The man indicated that he wanted to help with my particular problem. I thanked him earnestly; that's small town America.

Mother's glasses lasted for 4 days . . when she ran over them and crushed them with her wheel chair. So this morning I went back to the optometrist with my sad story. He gladly found another frame, put mother's lens into them, and handed them to me. When I asked how much I owed him, he just smiled and said, "Nothin; we're in this thing together."

That would not happen in Denver . . or Dallas . . or any other large city. It does happen in small town America. People have a concern for other people. They are anxious to help. They certainlly know that I'll be back "soon" to visit their company. That's what I love about Weatherf0rd, Texas.

No comments: