Friday, March 13, 2009

THANK YOU . . EARNEST POTTER

I was just a young man heading to the seminary when I was contacted by a committee from Calvary Baptist Church in Denison, Texas. I was serving in the same association as Calvary, and I was aware of the great church and its work. I was just very surprised that they were interested in talking with me about a position as Music and Youth Director of the church.
Bob Burroughs had just departed from the church to go to First Baptist Church of Abilene, Texas. Bob was an outstanding Music Minister who later headed the music department for the Florida Baptist Convention. He was a prolific composer, an accomplished director, and a wonderful musician. It was a little hard for me to picture myself as following his ministry.
Earnest Potter and his fine family had been at Calvary for a number of years, and he was well loved and respected in the area. So it was not long before I found myself working alongside him and the other staff member, Malcolm Brown. They were both kind and gracious gentlemen who loved the Lord and loved the ministry of the local church. They both taught me much in those early years of my ministry.
The Potters had two teenage sons, Kenny and Joe. Joe went on to become a physician in Madill, Oklahoma, and we have kept in touch with him for these many years. He is, of course, a grandfather now. It was my privilege to lead music in a revival in his home church at First Baptist Church of Madill many years ago.
Brother Potter, as I called him, went to be with the Lord many years ago. I can still picture him in his suit, wearing white socks, and ministering to people. He was a great churchman.
Thanks Brother Potter. You gave a young man a chance to learn and grow. You served the Lord with dignity and power. I pray for young men everywhere who can use your life as a model for their coming years of ministry.

No comments: