Friday, March 13, 2009

TWO CHRISTIAN MEN

I began working at Pharo and James Grocery Store on North Main in Weatherford, Texas when I was 12 years old. I sacked groceries, stocked the shelves, and did whatever Rayburn James or Tom Pharo wanted me to do. Both of these men were Deacons at First Baptist Church. They were true Christian gentlemen, and I have a great admiration and remembrances for both of them. They gave me a chance to get started in dealing with people, and both of them were very good at it. I use their names often in sermons as I talk about the examples in my life.
I recently visited with Mrs. Pharo. She is in her 90s and still lives in her old 1936 house. It was fun to talk about Tom and the good things he did for me as a child.
Saturday was a busy day at Pharo and James. Often people would double park up and down North Main Street. Sometime during that period the city decided to solve some of the parking problems by installing parking meters. That was not well received by these country people because it just seemed like we were becoming another Fort Worth, and no one wanted that.
It's now 2009, and the Courthouse Square is again being redesigned and rebuilt. Most of us who remember the "good old days" now realize that this type of change will never end. Every generation must discover and do it over again!
Thanks to Tom Pharo and Rayburn James for some wonderful memories of the 1950s in small town Texas.

No comments: