Monday, March 23, 2009

TRUST IN THE LORD

As a teenager I took my life verse from Proverbs 3:5-6. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths."
That's a good verse.
The proverb says we are to trust God in everything, not just in our Sunday activities. God is to be our guide in every aspect of life. We are not to put God into a compartment.
God is in control.
The one person who most impacted my life with this concept was Fred Cherry from Oklahoma. Fred had been trained as a civil engineer, but God got "ahold" of his life. He was never the same again, and he spent his life as an itinerant evangelist. He did find time to have 12 children and to become one of the strongest personal evangelists that I have ever met. While visiting for a revival, he would spend much of his time on the telephone witnessing "cold turkey" to people. This was back in the 1960s, and Fred would use his motel telephone to call names out of the local phonebook. He would share his personal witness and then move on to another number.
I often made personal visits with him; we would stop on the street to share Christ with anyone that he saw. It was amazing to see him follow Christ's command from Matthew 28. He had no hesitancy in sharing the good news of the gospel.
A lot of people didn't like Fred Cherry because he was a full blown tulip Calvinist. His preaching and his life gave all of the glory to God. "Trust in the Lord" was the motto of his life.
Much of my personal belief system came through his preaching. He preached it, but he mainly lived it. I still often find time to listen to his old taped sermons.
His ancestors are still preaching the gospel. It worked.
I must say that it also has worked for me. I've looked, but I've found no better thing to do than to "trust in the Lord." I'm glad I was able to know and to learn from Fred Cherry.
Thank you Fred for your faithful service. I'll see you in glory!

No comments: