Wednesday, February 3, 2010

WESTERN COLORADO and BAPTISTS

I had two different contacts today, and both of them helped me to reflect on my years of ministry in western Colorado. Many of my Texas family and friends have a somewhat negative view of that region; they see it as isolated, remote, and probably impoverished. I have discovered that there is no where that is remote and/or isolated. The "center" of the universe is where you as an individual live and love and serve. So western Colorado was and is the "center" of their universe.

I heard today that Eddie Scroggins has died. Eddie was 92 years of age. He and his wife June moved to western Colorado back in the 1950s, and he served as pastor of many small churches in the area over the years. I imagine that even he thought of the area as remote in those days when he arrived from Oklahoma. There were few good roads and much dangerous travel over the mountains. Some of the roads were even dirt; interstates hadn't arrived; and travel was treacherous. Western Colorado became his home, and even though you may not recognize his name, it is well known and loved among Baptists. He raised a wonderful family of seven children, 16 grandchildren, and 11 great-great grandchildren. He started many new churches; he gave his life so that others might hear about Jesus.

In my mind, that is being at the "center" of the universe . . when you are in the "center" of God's will for your life.

I also saw today on Facebook that this is Roger Little's birthday. Roger and his wife LuAnn also now live in Grand Junction, but while my children were young, he served as the Principal at Craig Middle School. He is a tremendous man of integrity whoo had a wonderful Christian influence on my children. He's the type of teacher and administrator that we all desire for our children. He and his family were also wonderful members of our church.

We had a saying about Craig, Colorado. I suggest that yout look up its location on a map if you're unfamiliar with some geography. It was said of Craig . . "that it wasn't the end of the world . . but you could see it from there." We still have many wonderful friends in Craig, and they know for sure that it is not the end of the world but the "center" of the universe. Many of them continue to seek God's will for their lives.

My suggestion is always to find the "center" of your life in Christ.

No comments: