Wednesday, September 3, 2008

50 YEARS OF BLOGGING


The world of communication is amazing. I remember in my early life typing letters on a small portable typewriter to my fiance, my parents, and to others. I'm sure it took a large amount of time, but it kept us well in touch. I made the terrible mistake of throwing out many of those love letters and correspondence from years past; I remember thinking I didn't want my children to see them. Talk about dumb and dumber! I wish they could see them now to understand how much I loved my dear wife at that time. It hasn't changed, but it proably had a little more verbal passion in those days.
I bought that Royal portable typewriter when I was 14 years of age. My dad went with me to the bank and I borrowed $120 from Boley Pearson at Merchants and Farmers State Bank. I don't know why I wanted a typewriter at that time, but I just guess I wanted to start "blogging."
So, here I am, celebrating 50 years of being in the ministry and finding new things to do and say. I've stayed away from blogging, but there's just some things I want to say and do. I figure this is a good way to say and do them.
This is my first attempt. I'll keep on trying.
Sam

10 comments:

Bryan said...

This is great! You've brought a smile to my face...and I'll add you to my blog roll. I'm thinking of the picture of you in the apartment with your typewriter...
you can copy & paste this link...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2279/2265171804_82c7a3d670.jpg?v=0

You were blogging, and we have record of it!

REVIVE said...

What a sweet beginning. I can't wait to read more as the days go by. Thanks for capturing those insignificant moments that create so much significance in life. Love you!

REVIVE said...

FYI: I, Shari, am "revive."

Terry Holsinger said...

Great Start Sam. I may have to try also. More later...

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking time to write. I will look forward to staying connected to you be reading your blog...

Unknown said...

This is absolutely wonderful! I love it..and can't wait for more.

dollarbill said...

I found this very interesting to learn a little about you in the past. I want you to know you have got me to do a first. I have never replied anywhere else.

I will check back. I added you to my Favorites

Sandra Jones said...

You did not mention that your typewriter was probably a manual and you had to pound the keys which made it harder to operate.

I cannot believe 50 years in the ministry, so now I am trying to guess your true age. I am sure you are older than myself.

I am like the others that commented...hurry and do more so I can learn more about the man Sam Cotter.

Tommy Jones

purplepreacher said...

Sam,
I love the photo. Thanks for sharing. You are awesome
Ken

Terry Holsinger said...

Well, Sam, fifty years would seem like a really long time to some folks, but not me. Well, maybe a sort of long time, but not a really long time like some of the young sprites may thing. And then there's the length of time we have known each other. Must be close to thirty of those fifty years, isn't it? They have been good years and I am thankful to have been associated with you in ministry in several ways. At church is one thing and that was good because of the "Cotter Key" sense you brought to Church organization. My opinion is that too few of our leaders are gifted in that respect. I appreciate your giftedness there. Then there is the Builders For Christ trips we took. That was a joint venture, at least that's how I see them. But the truth of the matter is (I believe) that you and I fit together very well, sort of like a cotter key in a key way. It really takes both components to keep the wheels on and the wheels come off without them. Maybe some time we could do something like that again. But whatever, I count it a privelege to know you and love you like a brother and RL as a sister. Ours is a good family! God bless you all -- real good! Terry & Sandy