Thursday, September 18, 2008

NEW KNEE

I can hear the theme from the old TV program "The Twilight Zone". Listen and you can hear that theme in your brain . . "new knee . . new knee . . new knee". I don't guess Rod Sterling was thinking about this modern age when new knees are common, but getting one does seem like a twilight zone experience. My brother just had a second one "installed" at the local hospital, and my brother in law will soon get two new knees. Who would have thunk it?

This world of technology spins my head. I distinctly remember the first computer that I used back in the 1980s. The personal computer wasn't even evented until 1980, and it was certainly a primitive contraption. I can almost hear the twilight zone theme in my brain . . "no-nee . . no-nee . . n0-nee". We thought it was wonderful that you could actually "type" and make corrections before anything was printed. That was pretty amazing and new age to all of us. We seemed to be in the twilight zone.


My dear friend Don Perry did some early computer programming in the early 1970s. He actually had a program where we could call the "main frame" in Houston and play golf on the telephone. Now it wasn't Tiger Wood golf; there were no actual visuals. The program would just tell you how many yards you had hit the ball and if it was in the fairway. It was primitive, but as I remember, it a lot of fun. We thought we were in the big time.


I wonder what the world will look like another 20 years from now. People now can have new knees, new hips, new hearts, new livers and kidneys, new legs and arms and hands, and a thousand other things. A person can even have a new heart. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the doctor could stick in a new person . . one who was "new" all over. Wow, that's what Christ does when he comes into a life. He makes us a brand new person.

I've had a new hip (twice on the same side) back in 2001. I've lost some other "parts" along the way. I really don't want any more new parts. I surely do want to keep the ones that I have. No-nee . . no-nee . . no-nee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that in a couple of months I will be proud of my new knee, but right now it is a struggle. It is heavy, stiff, hurts etc.etc. but give it time.

Gene