Tuesday, September 23, 2008

JOHN MCKAY - MUSIC EVANGELIST

John McKay grew up in west Texas and in north Fort Worth, and he is a tremendously talented musician and singer. As a young man, he sang in the Dallas Music Hall musicals and was invited to New York to pursue a music career on the stage. But something was wrong with that plan.



Instead of heading to the "big time", John followed God's call and committed his life to music ministry in Baptist churches and crusades. He wrote some wonderful music, he produced some great albums and books of music, and he has served faithfully for many years. John is well known and loved all across the Southern Baptist Convention.


I worked with some of John's children while serving in Hurst, Texas many years ago, and I just completed an interim pastor position and worked with John for 8 months. I recently had lunch with John, and we discussed our years of ministry. His story is very similar to mine, that is, except for the fact that he is a great soloist. Just like me, he heard the call of God on his life, and he has remained true to it. Now in his 70s, John is serving as the interim music director at Friendship Baptist Church in Weatherford. The people there love him, and he helps them to sing music of the church from the depths of the heart.



Just a sidelight . . for many years, Richey Craig of the Baytown Craig clan has played the piano for John. Richey continues to be the pianist at Wedgewood Baptist Church in Fort Worth.


John and Richey and others others like them are just the reason I share this blog. I want you to know many of God's faithful servants who have touched my life. I'm glad I've become good friends with John McKay and Richey Craig. John and Richey are persons who understood the call of God was for their entire lives. They just keep on keeping on!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

In all of John Mckays music that he has written I will never forget
the one titled "What about you" is it in printed form?

Brian McKay said...

I'm John's number 3 son, Brian, recently he gave each one of his kids, there are 5 of us, a huge gift that we would like to share with those of you that were blessed by his ministry. We each received a set of DVDs of our dad singing through the years when he traveled with James Robison. Many of these videos are now available for you to watch, enjoy and remember when you heard him sing these. Go to Youtube and seach for "John McKay Music Evangelist" or cut and past the following link into your browser

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiM_hezmQh3lt-qSIJNTamg

Dad turned 84 this past February. Both he and mom are doing well.

Unknown said...

Do you have an address where I can write him. He has made such a difference in my life.
Thanks
Jerry C

Unknown said...

Jerry send me your email address and I'll get you his home address. I'm sure he would love to hear from you. brian@nsbcweatherford.com

Unknown said...

I knew John in the late 50's and early 60's at Belfort Baptist church in Houston. I was in my preteens in the youth choir. I learned from him the love of Christ and devotion. John was the glue that held the church together. After he left the church and joined with James Robinson, the church fell apart due to Pastor Best's becoming focus on "McCarthyism" and communism destroying Christianity. At RA classes we were told to memorizes the bible for it would be burned as Germany did in the 40's. At that point I began questioning my Baptist teaching. However, John did have an effect on us, Larry B. my neighbor became a baptist preacher in Austin. I studied for the Priesthood with a degree in theology, philosophy and religious education. One never knows the seeds one plants and results that are re-plants for new results. Even as a Catholic, I still have strong memories of John's singing while I am standing next to my mother.
May the peace of the Lord be with you. Randy

John Roy Wilson said...

John and Julia came to Kerrville and Trinity Baptist Church in about '58. At Alto Frio Baptist. Camp, John walked with me "down front" where I dedicated my life to Full Time Christian Service and for the next 5 years, John and others at TBC guided me in my spiritual growth. John was the choir director, and also the youth leader. Singing! What a voice! My musical education was ignited because of John.
Today I live in Oregon and sing in two choirs. I did not go into formal christian education. I am a teacher and youth worker. John and Julia loved me and other young people. I deeply love and appreciate the support given me by John McKay and Julia. John Roy boy

Anonymous said...

I also know Sam Cotter who was the music director at Bellevue Baptist Church in Hurst when I was growing up and he gave me my first shot at playing the drums in a musical caked “Life”...Sam also touched my life—— Cary adair

Anonymous said...

Hello Brian, I never got to know you but I know your two older brothers Jay and Cary because they were named after me and my brothers name . We knew your Dad and mom from the old days at FBC hurst back in the 60’s. You Dad sang with my cousin Bobby James and both have really touched me life . I wish the I could email your day sometime. By the way your sister Laura is married to Bill Cole who I know as well. Thank you Cary Adair

Anonymous said...

Hello Brian, I never got to know you but I know your two older brothers Jay and Cary because they were named after me and my brothers name . We knew your Dad and mom from the old days at FBC hurst back in the 60’s. You Dad sang with my cousin Bobby James and both have really touched me life . I wish the I could email your day sometime. By the way your sister Laura is married to Bill Cole who I know as well. Thank you Cary Adair

Unknown said...

John was our youth director at Belfort Baptist church when I was in high school. He was a big inflence in my life and introduced me to my wife of 58 years.

He was always a positive influence for many great teenagers and a roll model for many of us.

Kent and Narsha Mckinney of Rockwall Texas. Klmckinney@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I was in a church in Louisiana in the 1960s when John McKay and James Robison led a crusade there. I have looked for the name John McKay on the recent SBC abuser list as my experience with him makes me aware that I was probably not the only young woman who was abused by him.

Unknown said...

My husband, Walter Grady, was used by John in many of the Robison crusades and TV shows. He sang and played guitar. John, Jeanne, and James were special friends during those years. Walter served as a Music Minister in churches in Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas. He currently serves a interim in an Ardmore, OK, church after retiring from FBC Ardmore having served there more than 30 years.