Wednesday, October 15, 2008

BILL CHAPPELL ART

Do you ever have something go "over your head"? It happens to me very often, and I discovered an "over the head" part of my life recently. We were travelling with the Holsingers, and we stopped for lunch in downtown Hamilton, Texas. While eating lunch in a nice local restaurant, we walked two doors down the street to Bill Chappell Art.

Bill is a well known western artist who has created sculpture, paintings, and prints over many years. http://www.billchappellart.com/ While talking with Bill and his wife, we soon found that we had mutual friends from Colorado since Bill and his wife Fay had lived in the South Fork area of Colorado for many years. I knew Bill's name by reputation, but I was surprised to learn of their work with Southern Baptists in Colorado.

Bill and Fay moved to southern Colorado in 1953 where Bill was in the cattle business, and his new art career was begun. They were instrumental in starting College Heights Baptist Church in Alamosa. They also helped with the work in Crede and South Fork and other mountain churches in southern Colorado. Bill also served for several years of the Executive Board of the Colorado Baptist General Convention during its formative years.

Bill is now in his 80s and has a wonderful gallery in Hamilton. You need to stop by and visit with him on the downtown square. The main thing to remember is this. Bill and Fay gave their lives and their ministry to reach people for Christ in Colorado. That reality once went "over my head", but now I thank the Lord for them. They are just one couple who made a deep commitment to tell people the good news of the gospel.

I lived in Colorado for about 25 years, and it was my privilege to meet a lot of "Bill Chappells" along the way. I'm glad I got to know many of these wonderful people.

No comments: