Thursday, October 30, 2008

PIANISTS - TALL OR TEENAGE

One of the advantages of serving as a Minister of Music (now called Worship Leader, etc.) in my early years of ministry was the opportunity of serving in a "larger" church with other staff members. Many young pastors do not have that opportunity. They often go to a church with small congregations and no staff support. They are sometimes left on their own "out in the wilderness". Larger churches often have accomplished leadership.


After serving in other churches, it was my privilege to move to Second Baptist Church of Baytown, Texas as their Minister of Music and Youth. Second BC was a very successful church with 25 years of great history in the area, but I was to be their first "full time" Minister of Music.


I remember the very first time I met Patsy Brewer because she was a tall lady and the church pianist. I didn’t know it at first, but Patsy was my age and had graduated from Lee High School in Baytown in 1957. Since Patsy was exactly 6’ tall, the same height as me, I remember standing on my tip toes when we first met. Patsy had been the pianist in the church for 16 years by that time because she began playing age 12. The next eight years were going to be exciting ones as we learned and grew together musically. And, by the way, Patsy is still playing the piano at Second Baptist. I promise not to tell her age.


The part time music director at the church had been W.C. Herring who was a school administrator with the Goose Creek School District. He had done a wonderful job in the past, but the church wanted to have a larger music program for all ages. W.C. Herring was always very gracious; he stepped back and let me lead and often led music in small churches of the area. His daughter, Pam, became one of my most ardent supporters and pianist for the youth choir. It was she who helped me so much in the early days that “rock and roll” came to the church. She was a very good pianist and helped me to work my way through the new rhythms of that era. We still maintain contact with Pam after all these years.


I mention these two fine ladies to say THANK YOU. You both saved my life. I certainly couldn't play the piano, and you spent a lot of time "making me look good". I love tall pianists . . and I love teenage pianists.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And I love cool music directors! You and Ruth Lynn have always been special to me. Thanks for believing in me and using me when I was young! Love ya,
Pam