Thursday, October 9, 2008

SECRETARIES DO ALL THE WORK

I recently called County Commissioner John Roth (Precinct 3) to ask for some help down the road on Roark Lane. He wasn't available, but I was able to speak with Michelle. I don't really know what Michelle's title is, but she obviously answers the phone and handles a lot of the problem calls in the Precinct. She actually wanted to give me John's cell phone number, but my own inner sense suggested that I just turn over the needs to Michelle. She was very helpful, and may I say, efficient.

Within about two hours there was a full crew of workers who showed up on Roark Lane, and by the end the day, all of the problems were solved. I asked the foreman of the job if he worked for John or for Michelle; he just smiled and kept on working.

I have such wonderful respect for people who work behind the scenes. Most of the time I don't even know their name(s), but they get the job done without any praise or recognition. So, thanks Michelle for the great job.

I joined the staff of the Colorado Baptist General Convention in 1989, and I was immediately greeted with the smiling face of Eunice Liesmann. Her husband, Ron, was pastor of one of our Baptist churches, and Eunice was a graduate from the Religious Education school of Southern Seminary. She was certainly over qualified to be a ministry assistant, but that didn't make any difference to Eunice. She met every person with a smile and a deep understanding of ministering to their needs. She understood the challenges of our division, and she was constantly learning and growing in ministry. We worked together there for a number of years before Ron and Eunice moved on to minister in Wyoming. They are now retired and living close to children in South Texas.

I've had a lot of compliments over the years about my work, but I know the truth. Secretaries do all the work. Thanks Eunice. You were faithful to God's call.

No comments: